Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eventful Day

Today was such a beautiful day for mid October. The 4pm hour is not the easiest at our house. Nate usually comes home around 4:45 so that is helpful, but since he is traveling we decided to walk to the park at 4 instead. The kids and I were having a great time. We had been there nearly an hour and I knew I needed to get home and get dinner started. On our walk home I was holding Harper's hand (she still isn't 100% comfortable walking outside without holding a hand) and Baron was jumping/galloping/walking beside us. All of the sudden he said "Come on Harper!" He grabbed her other hand and took off running. I reacted by resisting his pull. I heard a pop and Harper teared up. Baron had no idea what had happened and at the moment I wasn't sure either. I picked her up and she continued to cry and wimper. Normally Harper holds the back of my arm while I carry her, but this time her arm was hanging limp at her side. I rushed Baron (as much as you can rush a 2 year old) home. We called the doctor. They directed us to go to the urgent care. Oh great - dinner time and 2 hungry kids under the age of 2 in a room full of sick and injured people. Since the urgent care is first come first serve and it opened at 5pm, I decided to throw the kids in the car and grab a box of cheerios for the waiting room (hey - it was handy). We arrived to a room FULL of people already waiting. Baron and Harper were playing in the kids area. I was texting Nate and trying not to make him worry, but my heart was breaking as I watched Harper play with one arm hanging at her side. I was also praying that Baron would go for my dinner of Cheerios (Baron and a low blood sugar are not a good combination). So I pulled out the Cheerios when Baron told me he was hungry. Harper came running over and then reached up - WITH BOTH HANDS - for Cheerios!! It took me a second and then I realized that we didn't need to wait anymore. We saw the triage nurse who tol me that Harper probably had "Nurse maids elbow" and popped it back into place herself. It is actually common to have happen to young children. I was so thankful that nothing was broken. We left the hospital and on the way home the kids and I saw the most beautiful moon. The day was eventful and left me with many memories.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Ugh! Nursemaids elbow is no fun! K had it just before she turned 2--it relocated while they were manipulating her for xrays. Glad Harper turned out just fine, too!

Holstein Family Blog Vistors

Visitor Counter